Community Service-Minded Residents Encouraged to Run for Seats on
the McLean Community Center’s 2018-2019 Governing Board
Nominating Petitions Will Be Available Monday, Jan. 22
The McLean Community Center (MCC) is seeking candidates to run for seats on its 2018-2019 Governing Board. The board provides oversight and guidance for MCC programs and facilities, which include the Robert Ames Alden Theatre (The Alden) and The Old Firehouse Center. The Center is an agency of Fairfax County Government. MCC’s Ingleside Ave. facility is closed for renovation; the temporary administrative office is located at 6631 Old Dominion Dr.
To run for a seat on the 11-member board, a candidate must reside in the Center’s tax district (Small District 1A-Dranesville). To have their names placed on election ballots, candidates are required to obtain the signatures of 10 McLean tax district residents in their respective categories (either adult or youth).
Three adult positions and two youth positions are open this year. The three adult candidates who receive the three highest vote counts will serve three-year terms. Youth members will serve one-year terms. Adult candidates must be at least 18 years of age as of McLean Day (Saturday, May 19). Youth candidates must be 15-17 years of age as of McLean Day. One youth member will be elected from the McLean High School boundary area and one will be elected from the Langley High School boundary area. Youth candidates are not required to attend either school, but they must reside in the boundary areas served by one of the schools as defined by Fairfax County Public Schools.
Key Election Dates:
• Monday, Jan. 22: Petition Packets are available at MCC Adminsitrative Offices, 6631 Old Dominion Dr.
• Friday, March 16: Completed Petition Packets are due at MCC Administrative Offices by 5 p.m.
• Monday, March 19: Candidates’ Orientation, 7 p.m., The Old Firehouse, 1440 Chain Bridge Rd.
• Monday, April 9: Absentee voting begins at Administrative Offices, 6631 Old Dominion Dr., and The Old Firehouse, 1440 Chain Bridge Rd.
• Sunday, May 6: Candidates Meet and Greet, 2-4 p.m. Sponsored by Friends of MCC, The Old Firehouse, 1440 Chain Bridge Rd.
• Wednesday, May 16: Absentee Voting ends at the MCC Administrative Offices and the Old Firehouse Teen Center at 5 p.m.
• Saturday, May 19: Election will be held at McLean Day from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Lewinsville Park, 1659 Chain Bridge Rd.
For more information on the MCC Governing Board Elections, visit the Board Candidate Information page or call the Center at 703-790-0123, TTY: 711.