The Alden Presents “Drive-Thru Drama”
A new model of theater* in a COVID-19 world (*as far as we know!)
Friday-Sunday, July 3- 5 and July 10-12
6-8 p.m. (timed entrances)
Please Note: The dates may change if Northern Virginia’s Stay-at-Home Order is not lifted by early June. If inclement weather is forecasted, performances may be moved to a different time of day or a different day.
"Drive-Thru Drama" is a social-distance theater format that brings people together for live theater from the comfort of their own cars. Actors will perform one, cohesive story through short solos—each approximately two minutes—across the MCC parking lot. Audience members will simply roll down their windows and drive the route from actor to actor.
The Alden presents the debut performance of "Small Change,” written and directed by Andrew Scott Zimmer, a new work commissioned by The Alden.
“Small Change” follows the travels of a $1 bill as it journeys through time and space, interacting with different people’s lives, and leaving its mark on the world.
A limited number of timed tickets will be available about two-weeks prior to opening day. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Because this is a new program, information on this page may change as the planning progresses.
Interesting in performing? View audition information here.
Safety precautions that adhere to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention and Fairfax County Health Department guidelines include:
- 1. The driving route will be drawn on the ground so that actors are a minimum of six feet away from cars and each other at all times.
2. Stop signs will be placed at appropriate viewing points and drivers must follow all applicable traffic laws.
3. Actors will be provided one face shield which they must wear to all in-person rehearsal and shows. Shields will be made by The Alden staff as to not purchase items needed by healthcare facilities.
4. Actors will provide their own costumes, set and props so that they are the only ones touching their items.
5. All audience members should wear a mask. Those who are considered to be in a high-risk category for contracting Covid-19 should consult a doctor before purchasing tickets.
6. Front-of-house operations will be no-touch and will be conducted from a minimum of six feet away from vehicles.
7. Other precautions may be taken if recommended by the CDC or the Health Department.
Questions? Contact The Alden Youth Theatre Programs Director Danielle Van Hook at firstname.lastname@example.org.